When and why you need a website audit:
- A website audit is needed when you have made significant changes to your site. Be it design, domain migration, a shift in content, technical changes, performing a website audit will help you regain your previous rank.
- If your site has a plethora of plugins, it’s vital that you do various SEO audits. There can be many different issues that might actually hinder the performance of your site. A good example would be when some of your plugins are outdated or interfere with search engine crawlers, bots, etc.
- Another thing that might lower your ranking is irrelevant content. SEO and content come hand-in-hand and having keywords that have nothing to do with your customers will result in major losses.
- Slow load times will leave your potential customers frustrated, not to mention search engines. Providing an unresponsive experience means you signal the ranking system to lower your position.
- If by any chance you have duplicate content on your site, then you are most likely raising concerns over indexation. This'll impact your page authority, meaning that fewer people will see you in the search result.
- If your website isn’t secure (i.e, https) then your site puts your visitors’ privacy at risk. True, there are many sites that still operate using old protocols, but providing a secure connection is slowly becoming a key advantage.
- If your site is not following Google’s Webmaster Guidelines, it won't appear in search results as often.
These reasons are only a fraction of the full list. Conducting SEO audits will help you outline key issues, as well as create a plan to mitigate them. It’s important to follow industry-established guidelines as they'll help you gain more prospects.
How often should you do an SEO audit?
Depending on the industry and size of the business, once or twice a year SEO audits are a must. Having a clear understanding of your site’s insides will help you create a proper marketing strategy, transform multiple business operations, and boost your sales. If you have no clue how many SEO audits you should do, take a look at the following:
- Many specialists are involved with your site
- The industry you operate is very dynamic
- Code-base is changed regularly
- Content is constantly updated/changed
- High online competition
If any of the above apply to you, it’s best that you hire an SEO audit company. Having a dedicated team to handle your website will allow you to focus on other things. Moreover, in case of an emergency or when your site will substantially start dropping ranks, you'll be prepared.